Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Never Ask Me My Age

I am big on privacy and boundaries. I am not sure why but I really have an opposition to being asked how old I am, I had the very same opposition to it when I was a young mother. I like for everyone to stay in their own lane.

I have come up with witty answers over the years that are sometimes lost on people. I answer the "what do you do?" question with  " I am a Jedi" or "I am a pirate" or " I am a ninja" because I really like to screw with people and I really do not want them in my business. 

The age question is a bit different. Sometimes when someone has the balls to just blurb out the "how old are you anyway" question I tell them that I am ten years older just to screw with them.Clearly when you make yourself ten years older you are going to look fantastic for that age and leave people with their mouth agape. I am a grandmother but I do not consider myself old and do not like to talk about age period! 

Most times when someone breeches protocol and asks that age question I just respond with my own question " how old do I look?" this of course is a loaded question and anyone that has half a brain knows that it is so they either walk on by or really low ball me. Either way it works for me and I still don't tell. 

How important is age? Everyone in the right mind frame will tell you that age is just a number. Unless your number as a woman is higher than your man's number by  a decade or so than of course those numbers are fodder for gossip and you get that badge of honor "cougar". 

Funny how when a distinguished gentleman snags a young twenty something hottie no one calls him the Wolf in sheep's clothing that he is. I think we should start a trend and call those 40 something men that are dating twenty something ladies Wolves! 

No matter what culture you live in age is significant and plays a host of role's in how you are perceived. Changing that belief system of what a 40 something 50 something or 60 something woman "should" be doing at her age has been an up hill battle. A battle that is still hard fought! 

Age is just a number but it does disclose your mileage and it can prove to be a challenging hurdle to employment, lovers and self confidence. Being your personal best at any age is going to go a long way in reducing those hurdles.  

Homeopathy Ayurveda Herbal">



No comments:

Post a Comment